Monday, November 4, 2013

A Well that Satisfies



Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst.  Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” –John 4:13-14


There I stood, alone at the well.  I was hoisting away at the ropes.  My dry hands were crackling and popping, splitting like the dry, hot floor of the desert.  My hands were blistered from pulling up heavy buckets full of desert dust, hoping it would satisfy a tongue that was like an edgy rock.  As I was busy submerging my palm into my bucket, a man came up to me.  There at the well, the man asked why I was drawing from a well that would never satisfy.  Why shouldn’t I listen to him?  Wasn’t he the same man who told his follower’s to cast their nets on the opposite side of their fishing boats?  Didn’t these same follower’s take his advice, and find themselves with plenty of fish on the bow of their boat?  The man, Christ, told me to draw from another well.  It’s a well that quenches the thirsty and gives eternal life.  There by the well, this man spoke to me.  That day, I left that well.  And now, I’m drawing water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment